Thursday, September 20, 2012

Seasons Change


   We’ve made it past the hottest days of summer and have rounded the corner to fall. The mornings carry a slight chill. The male hummingbirds have begun their long flight back home, leaving their mates behind to fend for themselves before their journey. A few stray leaves lay on the ground waiting for others to join them. Alas, the light of day has grown short, bringing an end to the familiar singing of the night. The change has brought one of my favorite times… Fall!

  I don’t know about you, but I am ready for cooler days. I’m ready for sweats, comfortable jeans, and fuzzy blankets. There’s football in the air, and finally soon the baseball playoffs will begin. (We will not discuss the fiasco also known as the National Hockey League.) Here in the south one can finally have a campfire at night and not be too hot. Pumpkins and mums are making their appearance every here and there. Even Halloween do-dads have shown up in stores.

Not me, but could've been my hair! :)
  I’m excited because the humidity has left us. That means my hair may not frizz out and make my head look five times its normal size. My hair is the longest it has ever been. I have let it grow for about a year and a half now, and at times this summer I wanted to chop it all off. Now I can keep on letting it go until I figure out what to do with it. Don’t ask.

  I love that the scenery changes drastically. The landscape goes from many shades of green to a smattering of red, yellow, and orange. Perennials that have given a blast of color through the summer now disappear, and even most evergreens slow in time. Fall is the best time to plant in the south. Many people start or continue a landscaping project. Pansies and ornamental cabbage are planted, while camellias boast their beauty. All add spectacular color throughout the dreary winter.

Camellia japonica 'Nuccio's Pearl'
  Ah fall, I love you. You give the spring season a run for its money, and are a great break to the hibernations of those other seasons surrounding you. Bring it on!

What signs tell you it’s fall in your area? Why do you like fall? What is your favorite season? Why?

W.P.I. - Why is fall planting so good for plants? In the fall, the warm soil encourages root growth. Roots continue to grow through the winter until the ground freezes, or in areas with mild winters, roots may continue to grow. In early spring, roots begin new growth or continue to develop at a faster rate, and top growth begins. While the same plant planted in spring gets a slow start due to cool soils, the fall-planted plants are becoming well established. When summer finally arrives, the fall-planted plant is far better equipped to deal with heat and drought, largely due to its well-established root system. 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, fall is in the air when I smell the wood burning from the heating of homes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that smell, Read On! It brings back so many childhood memories. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete