Monday, October 21, 2013

Let's Talk About Books

            Today is the day I steer it back. I’ve strayed for too long, now it is time to reel it back in.

            Let’s talk about books, shall we? Come on, that is part of why I write this rant, right? One day maybe I’ll actually have a book published that we can talk about. One day. One.Day. Until then we can talk about what we’ve read recently, what we’ve loved, what we didn’t.

            I’m trying to get into a habit of reviewing books on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or Goodreads. Reviews help authors-in rankings, in developing their craft, and many other ways. I’m not going to do a real review here. I just like to let you guys know what I’ve been reading, and hopefully hear about what you’ve read lately.

            I did read a bad one recently that I am still trying to recover from. Unease crept into me as soon as I opened the book, and it didn’t get any better throughout. Let’s just say it was a piece of New Adult that bit me because the hero died in the end. I’m not going to name the book. If you want to know contact me and I’ll tell you. Let me just say that I will NEVER buy another book from that author. It still haunts me to this day.

            If you know me, or come here often, you know that I love to read and write Romance. I love a happy ending. I need happy in my reading. Fortunately for me I’ve read a few great books after that one fiasco. One book that had all sorts of happy in it was The Bridesmaid, by Julia London. This contemporary romance is a fast paced novella that brought a smile to my face throughout. You can find this book at Lunch Hour Love Stories website, B&N, or Amazon. (If you like romances I urge you to check out lunchhourlovestories.com)

            My friend Barbara Samuel has a short story out now you can find at B&N, Amazon, etc. You know, the usual places. Her new contemporary romance is a very quick read that pulls you in and leaves you wanting more. Of course I say that about all of her books, no matter what the length. Let me just use a few words. Military man, PTSD suffering man and dog, dog whisperer ex girlfriend. Come on, go get it! J

            Finally the last book I read was one of the best books I’ve read in a while. It is not a romance. I guess it is classified as women’s fiction-friendship, genre fiction-historical, or genre fiction-coming of age. This book is based on true events and depicts what life was like for one girl originally from Ireland who lost her family in a fire, leaving her an orphan. Intertwined in the story is one of a modern day teen-aged orphan trying to learn to make it in life. When the two are brought together the whole story unfolds. There are parts that will make you laugh, parts that will make you cringe, and parts that will make you cry. Again, this is one of the best books I’ve read in a long time. I highly recommend it. You can find it at any major book retailer.

            What have you read lately? Do you have any good recommendations? What genre is your favorite? Do you review books on any of the major sites? Do you prefer ebook or hardcover/paperback?

You can also find me at:
http://facebook.com/kellyryanwatson
and
http://pinterest.com/kellyryanwatson
            

No comments:

Post a Comment