Monday, February 27, 2012

And The Award Goes To...

  I have to admit that I am not a big movie goer. I am not one of those people who have a countdown, or throw a party for the Oscars. I have nothing against those that do, it is just not my thing. You see, I am just not a huge movie girl. If I go to the theater once a year someone should write it down.  

  I think it is because I read so many books. Every book I read becomes a movie in my head. So if I look at it that way I see thirty or more movies a year! Unfortunately they rarely transform the books that I read into a movie. 

  I admit a few months ago I did see a trailer for a movie that caught my eye. At first it looked like I might take an interest in it. Then, the more times I saw it, I was hooked and could't wait to see the full blown movie. This movie was originally a book, which perks me right up and  gets me even more interested. It's release date was right around Christmas, and like everyone else in the world I had a lot going on. So my thoughts of going to the theater went to the back burner.

  Enter my friend whom I haven't seen in fifteen years, and her husband. They decided to stop in for a couple of days just before Christmas. We went to lunch and decided to catch a movie afterwards. Lo and behold they were just as excited about seeing the same movie, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. One scene in the movie had me squirming and thinking about leaving, but thankfully I held on and stayed the course. I loved it even though the ending wasn't the happily ever after that I crave.


  So I liked it so much that I had to do some research. Who was the lead actress? I was amazed to find that she was from the United States. The accent with which she spoke I thought for sure she was from elsewhere. Well that is one more attribute to how good of an actress she is. Rooney Mara is her name. She amazed me in the movie, and she amazes me off screen too. I have seen many interviews with her and cannot believe how down to earth she is. She is shy and reserved. To me she is a breath of fresh Hollywood air that all too often is stale and suffocating. Rooney is nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role. She is up against some of Hollywood's finest in Meryl Streep and Glenn Close. Oh yeah Viola Davis and Michelle Williams are no slouches either. For sure she is the underdog, but I don't care. 


  I am not a glitz and glam girl. I am a sweats and t-shirt type of girl. I will watch the Oscars from the comfort of my own home. And I will pull for the underdog. I will pull for the book made into a movie. I will pull for the movie that drew me to the theater twice within a month. Yes, that's right. I who never go to the movies went to see Dragon Tattoo twice. Since then I have downloaded the next two novels of the trilogy to my Nook. Those two books played as movies in my head also. Hopefully I won't have to wait very long for them to hit the big screen. Oscar night though I will be eating my popcorn and rooting for Rooney!






Just a note...this was written before the Oscars were shown. 


What say you? Are you an avid movie goer? Do you watch the Oscars? Did you agree with who won?

No comments:

Post a Comment