Monday, July 15, 2013

Atlanta or Bust

  Hello, everyone! How are you? Can I just say that you look nice today? Really, you do!

  The last time I talked to you I told you all a little about myself. One thing I didn’t tell you was that I have self diagnosed myself with having anxiety. It has progressively got worse over the last couple of months. I don’t know what it is. I just hate to leave the house. Sadly, I must leave the house so I deal with the symptoms. Why am I telling you this now?

  It is Sunday afternoon as I write this. For the past couple of weeks I have been mulling an idea around in my head, but couldn’t quite see how I could make it happen. This afternoon that all changed. As of Tuesday morning I will push my anxiety to the max when I, Kelly Watson, will brave the great wide open until I reach the HUGE city of Atlanta. By myself. That’s right, I have to put on my big girl pants, brave driving in seven lanes of traffic, and explore Hotlanta with no one but me to keep me company! And deep down I’m excited. Well, I’m not excited about Podunk Country Girl becoming Sophisticated City Girl, but I’m up for the challenge. Just don’t let anxiety know. ;)

  Why Atlanta? *an evil grin takes over my face*

  For Christmas I received a membership to the RWA (Romance Writers of America.) The RWA is a phenomenal group that is dedicated to helping romance writers through networking, advocacy, and education. Every year they have a conference where they hold workshops, have an awards banquet, and have a “Readers for Life” Literacy Autographing. More than 400 Romance authors meet with and sign their books for fans. The proceeds from the book sales go to literacy organizations. I imagine you can guess where this conference is this year? That’s right, Atlanta. 

  We’ve had a lot going on over the past couple months here. I like to say we have a lot of irons in the fire at the moment. I really didn’t think this dream of mine would come to life. Every day that drew nearer my want to go grew. Finally today the Charmed One eased my fears, and I booked the room. I will be attending the Literacy Autographing and maybe one other get together. Let’s hope those fears stay away.
The first author I will seek out!

  I’m so excited. I am chomping at the bit to meet some of my favorite romance authors such as Barbara O’Neal, Jill Shalvis, Robyn Carr, Lori Austin, and Carla Neggers. (Yes I’ve met Mrs. Neggers before, but I’d love to meet her again!) These are the writers I look up to and hope to join the ranks of one day. These are my rock stars!

Author extraordinaire Jill Shalvis.
  Let’s just hope my friend Anxiety doesn’t rear its ugly head!

  Maybe I’ll have some good stories for you come Thursday!

  Do you suffer from anxiety? Do you ever travel alone? Have you ever been a part of any groups or organizations?  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment