Monday, July 29, 2013

The Queen's Feast

  I love this time of year! It’s restaurant week, aka the Queen’s Feast, here in the Charlotte area. Certain restaurants in Charlotte (known as the Queen City), and the surrounding areas, offer three (or more) course dinners for $30 per person. This price does not include tax or gratuity. This is a great way to sample the local flare of some of the areas hottest upscale restaurants.

  Every year the Charmed One and I like to sample at least one or two different restaurants during this ten day event. The other night we sat down and scoped out two different restaurants. After careful consideration we chose one and made reservations. Saturday night we hopped in the car and drove to our dinner destination, Nick’s Steak and Taphouse.

  *This is not a restaurant review, trust me!*

  We like to sample different restaurants for when people come to visit. It doesn’t happen too often, but it is good to have a place or two in the back pocket for such occasions. Apparently here in Podunk we don’t have a restaurant good enough to participate in such a cool activity. I believe the closest restaurants were about twenty miles away.

  Part of the reason we chose this particular restaurant is that it is in an old 1920s theater. It was beautifully restored. The old brick walls warmed me. They have a large screen where old movies are always playing. An upper balcony offers more seating. The kitchen is open air so you can watch the food being prepared. The atmosphere is charming.

  If you follow me regularly you know I love the city of Savannah, Georgia. One big reason I love that city is because of its rustic beauty. It is a city that has old buildings, old cobblestone streets, and historic charm. I love when things are restored instead of just torn down. I love imagining the stories the old walls can tell. I could imagine many stories after sitting in that restaurant for a couple hours.

  It is a good thing we went too. Just an hour before we left the Charmed One received a call from The Dad. It seems The Dad and his wife will be stopping by for a very surprise visit this coming week. Charmed and I have been together for ten years and this will be only the third time we will have a get together with The Dad. I love them to pieces, but this is the man who constantly calls me Shelly. *sigh* Honestly, I’ve been Kelly all my life. I’m kind of used to it. I really don’t answer when I hear someone say Shelly! Don’t get me wrong, I want to see them, it's just I want to wear a name tag when he’s around. :)

  Now we have somewhere new to take them. The food was good, the service spectacular. And the craft beers they had on tap will be just enough to help me get through an evening with someone named Shelly. 
I couldn't help myself!

 Does your area host a restaurant week? Do you like experimenting with new restaurants, or do you stick with what you know? Do you have any advice for me when trying to subtly correct my name? Should I just let it go and fall into a third personality? :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment