Thursday, April 19, 2012

Spinning Minds


  The skies are gray here today. It has rained off and on and it feels cold out there. That should be good for me because the weather prevents me from going out and weeding or planting in my garden. I need to be inside, there’s much to do in here. As a matter of fact there’s way too much to do.

  Not once on vacation did I wake up in the middle of the night and think of things that needed to be done. I didn’t wake and think of my paying job. I didn’t wake and think of an idea for a book. I slept great and it was wonderful. Then I came homeL. The morning I had to get up for work my mind started spinning at 4:30. I had another good hour of sleep, but NO, my mind wouldn’t let that happen. What was it thinking about? Nope, not work. It was thinking about my first book. My mind told me it was not happy with me, and it wanted me to do more for the book. UGH.

  Here’s my problem…I need an escape. I remember the days when I would work, come home, clean up and eat, etc, then sit and read. I would read, read, read. I am not the world’s fastest reader, but I would sometimes read a book a week. I am ashamed to say that I started a book in January, and I am still reading it today. I think if I’m lucky I will read about five pages a day. It is an odd feeling that I have about that because on one hand I am frustrated at myself for not reading more. I think reading opens my mind. On the other hand I am not reading as much because I am working on my own books and blogs. So, do you see my frustration, and why I am pulling my hair out? So let’s talk books. I have never asked you all what you like to read.

  When I was a teenager I read a lot of Danielle Steel. Then my out-of-control-party-like-a- putz years came on and I didn’t read as much. One of my gigs was bartending. My favorite patron was a school teacher and she told me about Patricia Cornwell who writes crime/mystery/forensic fiction. I picked up a book of hers and was hooked. Unfortunately she couldn’t write fast enough. I read up all of her books and found other authors like Luanne Rice and Nora Roberts. That’s when my reading addiction started all over again. I fluttered around in all sorts of fiction. I liked mysteries, and crime stories, then settled more into women’s fiction, romantic suspense, and contemporary romance. I love me some Robyn Carr, Carla Neggers, and Jill Shalvis. I could go on and on with names, but I won’t. Those are just a couple of people I read. Well, that is, when I read.  This brings me back to my dilemma…


  I need to start revising “Eagle’s Nest” now. Maybe my mind will give me a moment’s peace then. In the meanwhile keep me entertained. Tell me…

What type of books do you like to read? Who are some of your favorite authors? If you had more time in the day what would you do with it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment