Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Tastes Of Home


  Morning came. Being only half awake I stumbled to the coffee maker. Sleepily I eyeballed the water and put in a filter. Then, sadly, I screamed when I went to measure out the coffee. We were almost out of it. Melodramatic much? Sometimes. But this was not one of those times. You see, some people like Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, which can be found pretty much anywhere these days. Not us, NO! We have to be absolutely addicted to Tim Horton’s coffee. Supersadly, Tim Horton’s is found in some northern states, and Canada. Not in North Carolina.

  I admit there are things I miss from where I used to live. Mostly I miss family and friends. Then I miss the food. Don’t get me wrong there are some good foods here in the south, but I was born and raised on these particular tastes from home. Sadly we are about out of all of our provisions. An emergency trip may be in the works.

  I would just have my mom ship us more coffee if that was all we needed. I know, you are probably thinking, how much good food does Buffalo, NY have to offer? Let me tell you. TONS. Obviously Buffalo is known for chicken wings. They also have some other great dishes like Beef on Weck, and Pizza. Restaurants also offer up some great fish fry’s.

  Of course we can’t get those things. The supplies we need are Chiavetta’s barbeque sauce, Bison Chip Dip, Weber’s Mustard, Miller’s Horseradish, and pure maple syrup. We need coffee, and we need real hot dogs, sausage and peirogi. *Sigh* I’m getting hungry all over again just typing this! (Hey, don’t judge!)

  There are a couple of other things that we need that aren’t on the market either. My mother makes some awesome pickles. We are down to our last jar. She also makes a killer chili sauce. We just so happen to be on the last jar of that too. L Think we’re in trouble or what?

  It’s funny how much food we actually bring home from…home. I have to see if anyone within our families is planning a trip. If not you’ll find us cruising up to the western portion of New York in the next couple of weeks. Supplies are needed. Heaven forbid that Kelly be without her coffee! Nobody will want to be around her then!

  Is there any product that you can’t do without? Are there any certain foods that your city/town is known for?

W.P.I. - If you plant the same vegetables in the same spot every year, disease can build up and be ready before your plants have much of a chance. Keep the element of surprise against your disease foes and try to plant your crops in different parts of the garden each year.
Because many closely related plants are affected by the same diseases, avoid planting them where their relatives were the year or two before. Two of the biggest families are the tomato family (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and eggplant) and the squash family (squash, pumpkin, cucumber, watermelon).

No comments:

Post a Comment