Thursday, December 13, 2012

Scents Abilities


  Many, many moons ago I was a licensed massage therapist. I liked what I did, but I never loved it. I loved working with essential oils, and tinkering with aromatherapy. To this day I love how different scents evoke different moods and thoughts. Herbal remedies bring a whole new set of thoughts to my head. I love thinking about how people tried to heal each other through herbs. Actually, I wish more would be done with herbs today. Oh, don’t even get me started on prescription medicines! Remember, I am pretty much a nature freak.

  About a week ago I lit one of my favorite candles for this time of the year. I purchase these candles from Bath and Body Works, and think that I single handedly keep this particular scent going for the candle makers Slatkin and Company. Being the nature nut I love the smell of trees. Especially Christmas trees. Unfortunately it seems their aroma doesn’t last long. Introducing Fresh Balsam candles. I don’t know how they did it but the candle makers have managed to package that wonderful Christmas tree scent into a candle that burns slow and emits scents a plenty! I love it and would truly have no spirit if I didn’t have a few of these to burn around the holidays.

  I started thinking about how different scents bring different memories. That Christmas tree scent will always make me think about this time of the year. I walked outside the other day and upon re-entering the house I smelled the delicious pot roast we had for dinner. I don’t know why, but that particular scent made me think of my late grandmother. She used to make mouthwatering pot roasts, and that one scent always makes me think of her.

  It is when I requested a certain hand lotion for Christmas that the scent game started playing in my head more. A hand lotion that I use has a citrus lavender scent. I absolutely love it. When I have my mini panic attacks I try to put some of this on. As soon as I rub it into my hands and inhale the soothing aroma I immediately feel a sense of calm. It brings me an inner peace that is really hard to explain. How? Lavender helps to calm and soothe. Don’t laugh at me, I speak the truth! Try it sometime.

 So why am I talking about all of this? My current heroine dabbles in  aromatherapy, and is an herbalist at heart. When I started the book I didn’t know how big or little the herb part would be, but the more I write the more I find myself bringing it into the spotlight. She is a young mother that has been through bad times. When her son gets injured protecting his bullied homeless friend she finds herself opening the doors to her home. When an injured world famous hockey player comes knocking for help himself she finds herself opening more than the doors to her home, she also opens the doors to her heart. With three wounded hearts and souls at her side she turns to herbs to try and heal her newfound friends, and family. Can her love help to cure them? Can their love help her broken heart?

 That’s just a tidbit there. I found myself doing some research the other morning and fell in love with this website. I am also envisioning myself visiting their farm in the future!


  All of this information on essential oils and herbal remedies amaze me. I find myself playing with different scents from time to time. Every fall I throw together some sliced apples, oranges, cinnamon sticks and a clove or two in some water. I simmer it on the stove and that combination of goodness spreads throughout the house. I tried doing that same thing with star anise pods. In no time the house was filled with a soft black licorice aroma. It reminded me of Christmas cookies that I used to make. After looking it up I found out it is used in teas and other cooking methods. It helps to soothe an upset stomach.

  Do certain scents bring back memories to you? Do you ever seek out a certain scent or herb for an ailment? Are you thinking that I am crazy? Most importantly… How does the tiny book synopsis sound? ;)

A field of lavender. Heavenly!
W.P.I. -).Essential oils are most often described by their odors and scents (otherwise known as ‘notes’) and fall under the following groups: Floral (Rose, Jasmine, Lilac and Gardenia); Citrus (Grapefruit, Lemon, Mandarin, Orange and Tangerine); Mint (Peppermint and Spearmint); Woody (Cedarwood and Sandalwood); Herbaceous (Basil, Marjoram and Thyme); Earthy (Oakmoss and Patchouli) and Spicy (Cinnamon, Cloves and Nutmeg.)

No comments:

Post a Comment