Monday, December 17, 2012

What's Old Is New


  Throughout our lives we are taught and told certain things that eventually, after hearing so often, get embedded in our heads. I don’t honestly know if there is a rhyme or reason to these things, or if some are even factual, but we are expected to adhere to the rules and believe in their truths. “We learn from the experiences of our past,” is one that sticks in my brain. To me that says, the past is behind us. Don’t dwell on it, don’t go back there, just take your experiences, learn, and move forward.

  While shopping recently I have wondered why some things from our past are creeping their way back into our present day. Granted, sometimes retro is cool. Now a days they label older items ‘vintage’ to give it more appeal. Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to see some things make a comeback. Old cars would be cool, like the 57 Chevy. I’d like to see old movies and television shows make a comeback instead of half of the garbage that is available. What say you?

  From this point on remember that saying… We learn from the experiences of our past.

  Since Christmas is in the air we have heard about a couple of gifts that people may or may not be getting for Christmas. One is a record player. Really??? Didn’t we give those up for bigger, better, faster, and clearer, years ago? Now that nearly everyone has ridded themselves of the old vinyl of course it will make a comeback. Nice. Has anyone priced a vinyl Beatles album? And if I didn’t hear it with my own two ears I witnessed it on a recent trip. I found old records for sale, and *gasp* brand new record players. I will admit that this doesn’t really bother me so much, it just isn't a Kelly thing.
Vinyl being used in a different way.

  Let’s talk fashion now. Briefly. I almost choked lately when I saw clogs for sale in a few stores, and online. Clogs? Really? Come on now. If they were such a great fashion statement why were they taken off the shelves years ago? I remember being very young and having my own pair of clogs. I also remember they were ugly, and uncomfortable. The ones that I have seen recently haven’t done anything for me either. (Don’t get too mad at me, I am the farthest thing from a fashionista. Part of my wardrobe consists of sweats and thermals!)


  Lastly, I shake my head at this new old object. Memories flood my mind when I see these on people today. Headphones. Big ones. I remember back in the day the big ole headphones my brothers, and occasionally myself, would don to listen to music. They were so big they looked like people were wearing some sort of alien helmet. Throughout the years they got so small you could barely even see them in a person’s ear. IMHO that is nice. Now… Now… Days of flashbacks have come. I see people with these huge things on their ears again and I am left shaking my head some more.


  Haven’t we learned from the mistakes of our past? Must we always see some famous person wear or do something and follow along? I don’t understand. Isn't the past supposed to be left in the past.

  Have you seen any examples of something good from the past being brought back to popularity today? What is the worst example of old style becoming new again that you have seen? Am I being too harsh?    

No comments:

Post a Comment