Thursday, January 3, 2013

Book Torture


The other day I finished a book on my Nook and decided to look over the hardcover and paperback books I have yet to read. Why? I have a small bookshelf that is heaping over with books that are to be read. Somewhere along the lines I decided to try and thin it out so we would have less to take when we move. Brilliant idea, right? NO. And let me tell you why.

  I follow various authors on Facebook or blogs and every now and then they will ask their followers whether they like to read via e-reader or old fashioned book. Most times I am astounded at the amount of people who still like to read real books. There is nothing wrong with that at all. As a matter of fact it makes me happy, but I am not one of those people.

  Why? Let me count the ways…

1.) I don’t have to leave the comfort of my own home to find a book I want to purchase, or wait for it to come after I ordered it on the internet.

2.) I can change the size of the font to ease my aging eyes.

3.) My hand doesn’t cramp while holding the book open.

4.) I don’t have to adjust my body into varying positions to read while trying to work said cramp out of my hand because every reader knows you can’t just put down a good book!

5.) I can adjust the back lighting to read anywhere, whether it be sunny or dark. I don’t have to worry about sitting next to a lamp.

And finally…

6.) I can read my Nook with my fingers in my ears to get maximum intensity out of the book and not be distracted by what is going on around me. Like a loud television… But that is another story all together.

  These are basically all the things I had to deal with while reading a paperback a couple of weeks ago. As a matter of fact, I found myself sitting in such a weird position my neck misaligned and a trip to the chiropractor was needed. Sheesh.

  Sadly I have quite a few to read yet, but I secretly sit and wonder if I just won’t buy them over again on the Nook just so I won’t have to torture my body. I’m sure that authors like James Patterson, Lisa Jackson, Robyn Carr, Sheryl Woods, and Luanne Rice won’t mind making a little extra money because I’m willing to double buy.

  I will admit that most of it is my fault because I hate breaking the spine or wrinkling any pages. Another of my quirks, I guess. Even my mom doesn’t like reading a regular book anymore. She’s an e-reader addict too!

  Here’s the best part. I really don’t know if I should tell you this or not, but… That paperback I read… I got about half way through and realized I had already read it. Sadly, I couldn’t remember how it ended so I continued my own torture and finished it. Honestly, it was Nora Roberts. Come on, any of hers is worth reading twice, right? Right?

  Do you prefer old fashioned or e-reader? Have you ever had to go to a doctor because of a book? Do you have any that I could add to my list? What is the last book you read twice? Who is your author of the moment?

W.P.I. - Did you know that poinsettias are not poisonous? One would have to eat pounds of them before they would get sick. Now that the holidays are behind us don’t just throw out your poinsettias. You can keep them alive throughout the year to provide pretty foliage to your home. If your thumb is really green you may even get it to re-bloom  There are many sites on the internet that explain how. I tend to stick to the collegiate ones for the best advice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment