Monday, April 15, 2013

BFF's


  This past week I started reading the book, Firefly Lane, by Kristin Hannah. The story is about two girls who become best friends. It tells how their friendship grows throughout many years, and shows their ups and downs. It is told in such a heartfelt way it left no choice but for my mind to reflect upon some of my besties throughout the years.

  I have one friend that says I told her a dirty joke in kindergarten and got her in trouble. I don’t recall such a thing. J Somehow, even to this day, we are still friends, even after the joke incident. And I ask you… How dirty could the joke have been? It was kindergarten, peeps! I have a smile on my face just thinking about some great times we had together. This friend and I saw, cried through, and fell in love with the movie ‘Beaches.’

  I had other friends in school too that I had close bonds with. I had friends who were athletic, artistic, and brainy. Each friendship was unique in their own way, and I wouldn’t trade any of them. When I look back at them now I wonder how some of us did get along as well as we did. There was one friend in particular I was so opposite of we used to be called Yin and Yang. Okay, maybe we called ourselves that, we could’ve been called oil and water too. We made it work though. I miss her, and she is one that I haven’t heard from in years. A couple of my friends lived far enough away (20 minutes) that to call them would be a long distance phone call. Remember those days? Luckily a few of us keep in touch still.

  A teacher and coach of mine in high school had a big impact on my life. I don’t think I realized how much at the time, but now I do. She became a very good friend that I keep in touch with to this day. As a matter of fact I interviewed her for my last book! She is one of those people that you always looked forward to spending time with.

  After high school I met someone who fast became my best friend, and continues to be so to this day. We’ve been through a lot together, and apart, yet we remain close.

  Since I moved I’m pretty quiet. I have a couple close friends that always bring a smile to my face. And for that I’m thankful.  

  And then there’s the one you choose for your life partner. That one person who steals your heart, soul, and mind. The one who brings a whole new definition to the words best friend.  

  Even though miles and years keep me apart from most of the people I talked about above I still think about them every now and then. I remember our smiles, talks, and laughs. I remember the highs and lows. Certain songs or movies bring memories. Don’t think that I have forgotten our friendship, even though we hardly talk. You all have made a lasting impression in my pea brain.

  I think friendships have a way of taking a piece of one friend’s heart and adding it to the other. Those pieces add dimensions to who we are today.

  I know this book takes a dramatic, sad turn. I accidentally saw a blog by the author and she told about one huge part of this book I’m reading. It instantly brought tears to my eyes, and has kept me from fully diving into the rest of the book. I don’t know why it bothers me, considering my one friend and I loved, loved, loved, the depressing movie ‘Beaches!’
For you, Trista!

  I’m not sad though that this book has made me think of friends I maybe haven’t thought about enough lately. Friends I miss!

  Do you keep in touch with friends from your school days? Do you like books or movies that make you cry? How often do you talk to your bestie? (Other than your spouse) What is one of the best times you can remember having with your best friend? 

You can help an aspiring author out by following along either here or:
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment