Monday, May 7, 2012

Civic Duty


  There are times when I can’t share one of those “A Day In The Life,” or, “It could only happen to me,” moments. It’s not that I don’t want to. It’s just that I would not be able to make a whole little story out of it. One of those moments happened a while back, and now I finally have enough to tell you about it. So… without further ado, and with very little pleasure, I give you, “Civic Duty.”

Is this who "they" are?
  They say that it is one of the most important civic duties you can perform. Who are “they?” I have always wondered that. (Sorry, I got sidetracked there). But the civic duty I speak of is the dreaded jury duty. That’s right folks, Monday morning I have to report to Podunk County Courthouse and perform my civic duty. Let me just tell you how excited and happy I am! J

  This all started a couple of months ago. I received my first summons to appear on April 9, 2012. Well, wasn’t that the day I was leaving for a vacation that I had planned for almost a year? You see, this is my life. This is why I call this blog “A Day In The Life.” Things like this happen to me on a normal basis! So I filled out the bottom of the form and stated that I would not be able to make it. A couple of days later I received a phone call from the Podunk County Clerk of Courts. The nice lady stated it was fine that I was not able to make the court date. She also stated that I HAD to be available for the next one. This was fine for me, because most days, weeks, or months I have nothing planned. The nice lady then asked me what month I would be available. I stated May was good (let’s get it over already)! I no sooner got back from vacation when my next summons from Podunk County arrived.

   A few years ago I got summoned for jury duty. That summons had assigned me a number. The day before I was to arrive I had to call a certain phone number and they would tell me if I had to show up or not. It was a nice automated system that ran smoothly. Unfortunately for me that was a different county. This summons sitting beside me only has my name. It didn’t assign me a number. Apparently here in Podunkville the population is so low that you don’t need one? I don’t know, but I don’t have a good feeling about this. Needless to say I’m sure that Monday morning I will put a big smile on my face and show up to the Podunk County Courthouse, Courtroom number 3 and perform my civic duty. This duty that is said to be an important civic responsibility. Hhhmmmm. Just a question here, but isn’t it an important civil responsibility to not break the law in the first place? I digress. My mother texted me the other day and told me that she can’t stand jury duty and my father loves it. Go figure. I can’t wait to see which one I am more like in this aspect! *oozing with sarcasm* J

  I guess that all in all it will be alright. I actually hope I am chosen. Spring is a very busy time at my normal job. I could use a break! Plus, when I have to deal with stuff like this it makes it hard to work with a straight face. Sorry everyone, I could not make this up if I tried. This is the actual trash can from work. It is waaay to good not to share!

When is the last time you were called for jury duty? Do you like serving on a jury? Who do you think "they" are?

No comments:

Post a Comment