Thursday, June 21, 2012

For The Birds


  They are found everywhere. They’ve been spotted in cities, and the country. You can catch a glimpse of them from woodlands to wetlands, and everywhere in between. All around the world they’re found in trees, in the air, or on the ground. What am I rambling about today? It’s one of my favorite subjects…
  BIRDS!
Rose Breasted Grosbeak

  Every song they sing is beautiful. (Except for those that are sung too early in the morning!) From sunup to sundown you can count on the harmonic tweets and twitters of birds. Some are just a chirp while others are more whistles. Some squawk and some sing one tune after another. Either way they seem to sing in a way that puts me at ease. It’s almost as if they are saying, “Everything is going to be okay.”  

Indigo Bunting
  Their colors are mostly bright and beautiful. Many times the females keep a more neutral, almost bland color. That apparently gives them more protection from predators. Even so they are impressive. The bright orange of a Baltimore Oriole, the vivid red of a Cardinal, or the brilliant blue of an Indigo Bunting never fail to impress me. It is hard not to fall in love with these creatures.

  They flutter effortlessly through the air. Sometimes they even hover. Some can fly for miles and miles to return to their winter homes. Can you tell that I just love these beauties? I love them so much that a friend and I try to imitate their every call. We can do a mean crow call, er…never mind! Just last week I saw a turkey eyeing up my blueberry bushes. I think I had a handful of berries, and the birds got all the rest. Later on in the week I was gazing out the kitchen window when lo and behold what do I see? A turkey was running, literally running, down the road. I of course, imitated it, and did it apparently well. The Charmed One about broke a rib in laughter. It’s another one of my useless hidden talents. You never know when they will show up!

Hummingbird and Salvia
  Steer it back to the birds, Kel. Okay. I can’t say that I have a favorite. There are just so many to choose from. I do love the Bald Eagle, and Hummingbirds. And Finches. And Chickadee’s. And Cardinals. Oh, you get where I’m coming from, right? Yes, I know I am a nature fool. What about you?

Do you like birds? What are some of your favorites? Do you ever find yourself smiling when listening to them? Do you imitate them?

W.P.I.-Every bird has a unique diet. You can plant annuals, perennials, shrubs, and trees to feed the bird population as well. Sunflowers are a popular treat for many birds. Lantana, petunia, and salvia are admired by Hummingbirds. Fruiting trees and shrubs are also a feathered favorite. Finches like Echinacea, aka Coneflowers. Many Hollies produce berries that birds devour in the winter. Those are just a few planting ideas if you like to watch and keep birds around!

No comments:

Post a Comment