Thursday, June 7, 2012

Life's Constant Revisions


  The windows are open and I’m typing away. Right now I am working on this blog, before I was working on Book 1, er…Eagle’s Nest. That’s right. I’m still working on that. Hey, don’t laugh at me. I do have another job! I learned some very valuable information in one of the last classes I took, so I went back to Eagle’s Nest and have been revising it since. About a month ago I stated, “I should be done in about two weeks…” J EEK. Well, it is a slow process. I want to get this right, because after I’m done with this revision I plan on an all out, no holds barred, full blown blitz to both agents and publishers alike.

  For a while I thought about self publishing it. My mind changes with the wind on whether I want to do that or not with this book. I think to be fair to myself I have to try the traditional way. If I get nothing but rejections then hey, maybe my book does suck. But I don’t feel that. I felt good about it before the latest round of revisions. Now I feel even better. I am trying to be more…descriptive. So, I sit here and think, should I give you the synopsis? Or should I give you all an example of how things have changed? How about a brief synopsis first? It is just a snippet of the real rundown but it gives you the picture of the main character.

  Alexis Smith is the heroine who appears to have it all. She owns a highly successful business, has a beautiful home, and great friends. Only a handful of her true friends know of her tortured past, and all she’s had to deal with. They know the true story of what lies beneath her physical and mental scars.

  Old part of chapter 1…

            Alexis stopped outside the sales office and listened to her two faithful employees chatter back and forth.  Savannah was telling Nora a story about a landscaper who frequents the nursery.  Alexis took a deep breath and entered the room.  She tried to put a smile on, but as she did the smiles of her cohorts disappeared.
            “What is a matter with you honey?” Nora asked.  “Are you sick, or did u see a ghost?  Don’t just stand there, get in here and sit down.”  Nora gave Savannah a worried look as they both rose to go to their boss.
            “Would you two sit down, I’m fine,” Alexis stated.  The looks on their faces showed they didn’t believe her at all, and Alexis picked up on that.  “Honestly, I’m fine. Please don’t worry.  I just have a huge headache that’s all,” Alexis tried to reassure them.
            “You are so pale, come on and sit down before you fall down.”  Savannah led Alexis to a chair.  “When did you sleep last? Did you eat?”

Revised for the I can’t recall how manyeth time version…

Not the cover...just a great pic of an Eagle's nest!
            Alexis Smith rubbed her temples hoping that would stop the throbbing going on inside of her head. Ever since she read the email from the New York State Department of Corrections the gentle pounding turned into a relentless throb. She stopped outside the sales office and listened to her two faithful employees chatter back and forth.  Savannah was telling Nora a story about a landscaper who frequents the nursery.  Alexis took a deep breath and entered the room.  She tried to put a smile on, but as she did the smiles of her cohorts disappeared.
            “What is a matter with you honey?” Nora asked.  “Are you sick, or did u see a ghost?  Don’t just stand there, get in here and sit down.”  Nora gave Savannah a worried look as they both rose to go to their boss. Her dark sunglasses didn’t fool them. They had been friend’s way too long to not know something was wrong. They were both at her side in seconds.
            “Would you two sit down, I’m fine,” Alexis stated.  The looks on their faces showed they didn’t believe her at all, and Alexis picked up on that.  “Honestly, I’m fine. Please don’t worry.  I just have a huge headache that’s all,” Alexis tried to reassure them. The last thing she needed was to worry her workers, and distract them from their jobs at hand. Apparently just walking into the office was enough to do that. She knew she felt like hell, but Alexis didn’t realize that she looked like it too. If she actually looked in the mirror she would’ve known. Unfortunately, when she looked in the mirror she saw the scars. And the scars brought the memories she cared to never think about.
            “You are so pale, come on and sit down before you fall down.”  Savannah led Alexis to a chair.  “When did you sleep last? Did you eat?” Savannah was Alexis’ right hand. She was not only a close friend, but she handled all of the accounting of the business. She handled all of the tax issues, and was in charge of Alexis’ personal accounts also. Alexis didn’t trust many people, but Savannah was one of only a few who broke the substantial walls around her. Right now Savannah’s focus was solely on Alexis and her health. “Alex, talk to us, did you eat anything?”

  I know this is just a tiny bit of the chapter, but I hope I made my point. So now maybe you can see why it takes me so long to do this stuff. Hopefully you all will stick with me long enough to find out if it has what it takes, or if it is destined for the back of the closet. I promise you will be one of the first to know either way! Heck, you may even hear me yelling from my rooftop if it gets picked up!

What did you think? Did you see a significant difference? Was it for the better? What have you revised for the better in your life?

W.P.I. - The next time you boil or steam vegetables, don't pour the water down the drain, use it to water potted patio plants, and you'll be amazed at how the plants respond to the "vegetable soup." Do this after the water cools, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment