Thursday, December 27, 2012

Box It Up


So Christmas came and went in the blink of an eye. Did you have a houseful? Did you get what you wanted? Was your house full of wadded up wrapping paper that the dogs and cats batted around until you were sure there were pieces you wouldn’t find until next Christmas? Better yet, what happened with all those boxes?

  Why do I ask? Well, we are a family of repurposers. If there is a box around we will take it and stuff it away until the perfect sized object can be placed in it. This does mean it may sit and collect dust for… oh… ages. It also means that anything is fair game when it comes to gift giving occasions.

  Is it really a family thing? Yes. I thought it was just me, but then I realized my brother has a garage full of boxes. Now, is that an over exaggeration? Probably, but really I’m not far off. Sorry Doc (brother nickname.) Then I continued to realize it is an inherited thing when my mother told me a story about a Christmas gift. My soon to be niece-in-law opened a gift from my parents. The box revealed a wood moose that was an eye glass holder. My niece-to-be exclaimed, “I love it!” Sadly, my mother had to explain to her that her present inside the box was not what the box showed. Welcome to the family, Erin!

  So I was sort of relieved to find out it wasn’t just me. I come from a family of box hoarders. I do have to admit that it is nice to not really worry about a certain box size. It’s just trying to find it that’s hard! Sometimes there are boxes inside of boxes inside of boxes. B)

  Do you repurpose boxes? Does it run in your family? Is there anything else you repurpose? Like say…wrapping paper? Or tissue paper? Maybe that is a blog for another time! Or not. J

W.P.I. - Most corrugated boxes today are made from recycled paper. Recycling 1 ton of cardboard saves 9 cubic yards of landfill space and 46 gallons of oil. I think of my repurposing of boxes as recycling also. With efforts in recycling boxes and paper think of how many tree’s are being saved!

No comments:

Post a Comment