Monday, October 14, 2013

I Met Antonio Banderas... Sort of!

            I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed. Or the brightest crayon in the box. I may be a couple fries short of a happy meal, too. Most times I think I’m just a couple steps away from the “special” house. J What can I say; I’m smart, but at times unfocused. I’m sometimes too naive, and occasionally in my own little world. Often I’m inattentive on the things, or people, right in front of me, or the world revolving around me.

            Just wait, I’m getting to the point here.

            Many times while visiting my favorite city, Savannah, people will stop us and ask if we are from there. Many times they are surprised when we say no, since we are toting two dogs with us. Let’s face it, I’m spoiled, and so are they! We try to take them everywhere we go. And Savannah is a very pet friendly city. I digress. Usually people are looking for directions to somewhere, and quite often we can tell them where to go because we have visited so often. I think it’s neat they think we are from there, and I like to try and help people out.

            The last visit was no exception. Except it was. Enter me being stuck inside my own head.

            Charmed and I were walking the dogs thinking about finding a place to eat. Our walk took us to the front of one of the nicer hotels in Savannah. People were hustling about. A horse and buggy eased by. Suddenly a man and woman appeared before us. The man, good looking despite a weathered appearance, had a drink in hand. The woman, beautiful in her own right, toted a drink as well. (Savannah is an open container city.) The following conversation ensued.

Man: “Excuse me!”

Us: “Yes,” both of us wearing smiles.

Man: “You are from around here?”

Us: “No.” He questions us with his eyes, looking us both up and down, then to the dogs.

Man: “You’re not from here?” (Almost accusing us of being liars!)

Us: “No. But what do you need, maybe we can help you. We visit quite often.”

Man: “Oh. We were looking for a good place to eat.”

Us: “What kind of food do you want to eat?” (Savannah has an array of great restaurants.)

Man: “Steak.”

Us: “Okay,” we named a couple restaurants that were close since the woman was wearing high heels. High heels and cobblestone=accident waiting to happen.

Man: “Well, this BMW is mine, we could drive.” The smile lines around his eyes appear and I smile back.

Us: I think about the smell of alcohol on his breath and the drink in their hands. We suggest a cab, but that wasn't going to happen. “Belford’s and Alligator Soul have great steaks. And The Bohemian has a wonderful menu.” We gave them directions and continued on our journey.

            Later on that night while we watched the local news we saw that Antonio Banderas is starring in the next SpongeBob SquarePants movie, which is being filmed in downtown Savannah. The man’s face from earlier keeps flashing in my mind. Good looking, the same wavy dark hair, the wrinkles in all the right places, the accent. Could it have been? Was I standing face to face with Antonio and not realized it? To answer my own question, YES. I could’ve been standing within two feet of the man and not known. Sadly, I’m not a big movie person. I knew they were filming SpongeBob, but I didn’t know who was starring in it.
Mr. Banderas on set for SpongeBob SquarePants 2.

            Again, not the sharpest tool in the shed. Now, if there was a writer in town I would’ve been looking high and low!

            So there you have it. My run in with Antonio Banderas. At least that’s what I’m saying. *smirk* The Charmed One insists that it was not him. Although Charmed did admit that it could’ve been his stunt double. Hmmm.

            Have you ever accidentally run into someone famous? Do you watch a lot of movies? Who is the most famous look-alike you've met?



No comments:

Post a Comment