Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

            Not long ago I wrote about St. Patrick’s Day in Savannah. I wasn’t in the city for the actual day, but it was very close. Close enough that they’d dyed the water in the fountain at Forsyth Park. Close enough they hung all green Christmas lights on trees. And close enough to change the color of lights shining high on buildings from white to green. Savannah has the second biggest St. Patrick’s Day parade in the nation. But Savannah is known for something other than that. They are known for being one of the most haunted cities in America.

            Ironic it is that I am here during the week that houses Halloween. J I didn’t plan it that way, but as soon as we knew we would be here on Halloween, we booked a Haunted Ghost Tour. Unfortunately for you guys it is on the 31st, Halloween Day. I’m writing this the day before so I can’t share my stories with you. Ah, maybe next year. It is kind of exciting though being here at this time of year.

            Walking through the city you not get only get cobblestone streets and great architecture you get a mix of fall and Halloween. Some people have their doorsteps decorated.

            Some businesses have heads from horror movies hanging in the windows, or this nice spider I had the pleasure of eating dinner with the other night.

            Another pleasure I seek while here is taking a peek behind the wrought iron to check out the gardens. I was thoroughly amazed at the good humored nature of this garden. It brings a smile to my face every time I look at this picture.

            Now I’ve given you a taste of Halloween from the city I love. No, I won’t be dressing up, but I will be learning about the orbs and spirits that visit here. I’ll be doing this learning in a vehicle that looks like this…

            Happy Halloween everyone!

            How do you plan on spending your Halloween? Do you believe in ghosts? Where’s the most haunted place you’ve visited? Are you tired of my Savannah stories?

W.P.I.- To grow pumpkins so they are ready at Halloween plant them at the right time. If you live in a colder northern climate plant seeds in mid to late May. If you live in warmer southern climates plant seeds in June. Make sure they get plenty of water and sun. They need a lot of space. Squash bugs will demolish pumpkin vines so be sure to plant companion plants with your pumpkins. Catnip, mint, marigolds and petunias will keep the bugs away. And finally, leave a longer stem when cutting from the vine. This will help to slow the rotting process.

  
You can also find me at:
or

No comments:

Post a Comment