Thursday, December 26, 2013

Holiday Happenings

      Well, it is Christmas night as I write this. The holiday hangover is starting, but something else weighs on me. It is that feeling of sadness. I don't know why this feeling looms over me after every Christmas, but it does. Maybe it is the anticipation of the whole season- the shopping, baking, wrapping, and visiting. Or maybe it is the overall feeling that everyone is just friendlier in general at Christmas. It seems that it all ends too soon. 

      Maybe, for me, it is because I live nearly 900 miles from my family. We haven't spent Christmas together in the last couple years. I've opened up the beautiful presents they sent and I long to wrap my arms around them and thank them for such thoughtful gifts. What I wouldn't give to hear the laughter and camaraderie happening in my parents house.

      Christmas is also the time when I seem to reflect more on the friends and family that are no longer with us. I think back on Christmas's past when we were blessed with their presence. What I wouldn't give for just another minute with them. But I do have the memories of the holiday's we did have together, and that brings a smile to my face.

      Maybe that sadness is from those references above. Who knows. All I know is my small family had a good holiday. We are happy and healthy and ready to start preparing for where we shall celebrate next year. We gave a few presents and we got some in return. I even got these glasses that used to belong to my grandmother. I love the handed down presents, don't you? 

      This sadness will stay with me for a couple days, then it will subside. If we are lucky days will come and go, and before we know it next Christmas will be here. :)

      Am I the only one that feels like this? Did you have a holiday full of laughter and fun? What was the best gift you received? Gave?

W.P.I.- Besides the poinsettia the Christmas cactus is a popular holiday plant. They are an easy-to-take-care-of plant that thrive in many conditions, including cold. If you have had trouble getting your plant to bloom try putting them in a dark room for a while. The darkness will make them set their buds. When the plant is put back in a lighter room the buds will turn to blooms. 

      

       

       

1 comment:

  1. I get the holiday blues too. I wish things could be easier as the Xmas and New Year round in and then out. Together we will emerge stronger.

    ReplyDelete