Thursday, March 22, 2012

Just Breathe/First Excerpt

  I will be the first to admit that writing my first book was an experience in itself. I added certain events to it that happened in my own life. Events such as mini panic attacks. Now, I am not a doctor, and have never been to one for these certain symptoms. I am a self diagnoser, and mini panic attacks are the best I can come up with. My breaths would grow short, I felt like I was having cold sweats, and I just knew that I was dying. Thankfully that didn't happen, and after a while those feelings would pass. 


  So in my first book, "Eagle's Nest," we'll call it, Alexis Smith is the main character. She was given up for adoption at birth. Years later her niece, Emma Winchester, comes looking for her. By some weird circumstances Alexis and Emma are thrown together, and although Emma figures Alexis to be her aunt, Alexis has no clue who Emma is. Here is my first ever excerpt:
            Emma shook her head yes, but wouldn't speak. Tears came to her eyes. She stared at Alexis, taking everything about her in, because she knew Alexis was going to ask her to leave. Her breathing became more labored, and she started to cough.
            “Hey, hey,” Alexis reached over and grabbed her shoulder. Emma was leaning forward, coughing. “Emma, Em,” she rubbed her back as the coughing spell ended. Alexis handed her some water. “Breathe Emma, it’s okay, just breathe.”
            Emma sat up. Tears ran down her cheeks. She drank some water. “I am not going to leave.”
            “What?” Alexis asked as shock came over her.
            “I’m not going to go back, not yet.” She tried to take a deep breath, but couldn’t.
            “Emma, sit back.” She did as told. “Now close your eyes. Let your mind go someplace that makes you happy. It may be the beach, mountains, your friends, your mom. Picture it." Alexis paused.  "Do you have it pictured?”
            “Yes.”
            “Okay, stay there in that place. Just relax. Think of nothing but your calm place. It’s peaceful, quiet.” She noticed Emma’s breathing was getting a little better. “Now, breathe in.” Emma did as told. “Breathe out. Slow breaths, in and out.” After another minute of these exercises Alexis told her to take a deep breath. She did, as good as she could do considering her bruised ribs. “Better?” Emma opened her eyes. The sadness in them about broke Alexis’ heart. “Do you feel better?”
            Emma looked at her and shook her head. “Where did you learn how to do that? That was crazy amazing! Thank you.”
            Alexis smiled a half smile. “You’re welcome. Listen Emma, I would love to ask you to leave. Not because I want you to, but because it would be safer if you did. Something is going on, somebody is messing with me. The last thing I need is for any one of my friends to be hurt.”

  So that was one way I kind of tied my mini attack's into the book. I actually thought that I was going crazy for a while. That is until I got the wonderful opportunity of meeting Romantic Suspense author Carla Neggers last August. Mrs. Neggers had a book signing in Savannah, Georgia. She spoke about her just released that day book, "Saint's Gate," and many other things. I sat, listening and staring at her in awe as she is one of my favorite authors. She told a few personal stories. One of them included a "mini attack" she had in Ireland. (I kid you not, those were her exact words!) "What if planes stopped flying, and I couldn't get back to my family?" She went on speaking of her mini attack and I just smiled to myself. I knew right then and there that I was not the only one that thought this way! I also knew I was finally starting the right path in life for me...the writing path. That is her on the left, and the one on the right with the deer in the headlights look is me. 

  So, tell me. What did you think? Did it sound good to you, or are you tuning out now? Do you ever get mini attacks, or do you just think we're crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment