Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving Thanks


  It is hard to believe, but the holiday season is upon us. It seems like just a couple of days ago it was Halloween. Now Thanksgiving has snuck up on us and is staring us straight in the eye. I will admit I’m excited. This time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year.

  Ever since I was a kid I couldn’t wait to get up and watch the parades on Thanksgiving Day. If we were lucky we got to eat a piece of pumpkin pie for breakfast. Family would drift in and out throughout the day as the wonderful aroma of turkey and stuffing would fill the house. I remember everyone acting (well, me anyways!) like they were wilting away to nothing by the time dinner was finally put on the table. Everyone stuffed themselves full until they were sure they couldn’t move anywhere. Naps ensued shortly after while a football game played on the television for the oddball that may have stayed awake.  Oddly enough when those weary eyes opened fun conversations filled the air while others gathered around for a board or card game. I loved those days, and am thankful for the memories I have stored of them.

  I’m sure we all have big things to be thankful for. I do, but you probably don’t care to hear them. So I will save you from my BIG things that I am thankful for. BUT I am going to share some smaller ones. Ones that maybe quirky or odd yet I still appreciate them none the less. I did kind of steal this idea from Lori Handeland and The Goddess Blogs, so I’m thankful for them too!

  One small thing I am thankful for is my precious peas, also known as my dogs. There is not a day that passes that they don’t make me laugh.

I could see myself sitting in this lavender field.
  I’m thankful for lavender. I love the plant and everything that it is used for. I have times that little fits of anxiety hit me. It seems like as soon as I put some lavender lotion on, or have tea with lavender in it, all the stresses seem to fall away.

  I am thankful for great books that allow me to escape reality!

  I also give thanks for being able to take little trips every now and then. My mini vacations allow me to keep my sanity!

  So you see I have many things I give thanks for. Not just the big ones, but many small ones too. They make my life whole. They make my life happy. For all of that I give thanks.

  Oh, I almost forgot. I have one more. I give thanks to you guys who come and read my ramblings. To take the time out of a busy schedule to check out this blog means so much to me. So yes, I am thankful to you all as well. All two of you! J Kidding.

  Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy whatever it is you do to celebrate the holiday.

  What are some of your favorite Thanksgiving memories? What small things are you thankful for? Do you have elaborate plans for the holiday weekend?

W.P.I.-  One food we always had at Thanksgiving is the rutabaga. The rutabaga is a root vegetable that looks very much like a turnip with yellow-orange flesh and ridges at its neck. Although this beta carotene-rich vegetable has been grown and marketed in our country for nearly 200 years, it remains an uncommon food in American dining. It's actually a great tasting vegetable with a delicate sweetness and flavor that hints of the light freshness of cabbage and turnip. The rutabaga is a very good for you type of food!

No comments:

Post a Comment