Thursday, February 14, 2013

Overwhelmed By Valentine's Day


  Just for fun I Googled the word Cupid. It shouldn't have come as a surprise that the first site to pop up was a dating site entitled Cupid.com. Okcupid.com is another one that appeared a couple of sites below the first, and I’m sure if I looked farther I would have found more. Honestly I have never been on one of those dating sites, and I really thank my lucky stars I don’t have to resort to that. Is it really that bad though?

  Now look at what happened. I had this whole plan to talk about Cupid shooting people with his love arrows. Said people would then fall in love. Cupid would be praised as a hero, and Valentine’s Day would be deemed a success. Now I’m waaay off track and I’m not quite sure how to get back on. Heaven only knows what I would find if I Googled Valentine’s Day. Probably some horror movie would show up or something. J

  So, here in the United States, we are brainwashed into thinking that Valentine’s Day is the be all that ends all in the LOVE department. As children we buy or make Valentine Day cards for our “friends.” We all know that we pick out the best cards for those we would like to become better friends with. The problem is instead of hearts exploding with love many times they get shattered into a million little pieces because the ones we have our eyes set on have no interest whatsoever. The way I saw it was that Valentine’s Day teaches kids how to become introverts. Who wants to take a chance on love when chances are you will just get shot down?

  Now, you may think that I was one of those whose cute little card was not thought of or appreciated the way it should have been. Maybe that is why I have this jilted view of the Day Of Love. Did I ever get the Be Mine candy heart? Honestly… I don’t remember. I’m sure I did. I just think that when you put so much emphasis on love one day a year you are bound for heartbreak. Love should be emphasized every day of the year.

  Why do we pressure the ones we love to buy jewelry, candy, or flowers? Why do we drive ourselves nuts trying to figure out something romantic for our significant others? Can’t we express our love in different ways, on different days? What about the people that don’t have that someone special in their life? There’s nothing like realizing you are alone on the proclaimed most romantic day of the year. One of your coworkers ooh and ahh about their Valentine Day plans while another accepts flowers from a delivery person. Yea… nothing says heartbreak more than watching and listening to those that are loved be adorned this one day.

  As you can see I am not a big fan of this day. The Charmed One and I usually don’t celebrate it in any certain way. We try to spread things out throughout the year. A small gift here, a day trip there. We proclaim our love to each other every day, in different ways, and don’t go overboard on just one.

  With all that being said I hope you do have a great day. I hope you get whatever it is you might want. You do deserve it!!!

  Is your significant other the romantic type? Do you do something special to celebrate the day? Did you get the Valentine you wanted from the person you wanted it from when you were a kid? What is your favorite Valentine’s Day present?

W.P.I. - The history of giving your loved one Valentine's Day flowers comes from the old-fashioned custom of sending floral bouquets to pass on non-verbal messages. Introduced in the 18th century by Charles II of Sweden, each flower had a specific meaning attached to it, making it possible to have an entire conversation using only flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment