Thursday, February 20, 2014

Inspired

            I’m not always going to write about the girl from Podunk who moved to the city, I promise you. I’m not always going to write about that city, Savannah. But today I am. J That’s the pleasure of having your own blog! Sometimes I feel like I give you too much of me, others I feel like I've been disconnected. Is it just me?

            If you've followed me for a while you know I hope to one day be a published author. That is one of the reasons I started this whole blog thing. I’m trying to develop a following, you see. So I give you some pieces of me, hoping to display parts of my humor. Hoping you will like me and follow along. Hoping you’ll tell your friends, and they’ll follow along. *chuckle* (Born salesman I am not!)

            So I blog, or rant. I tell stories of me, my family, my dogs, and my life. Every now and then I’ll throw in a blog about reading, or writing. Ya know, to try and pull it all together. I’ve even posted a chapter or two of a work in progress, or an entry from a competition. I haven’t done that lately, but now that life has settled down some I plan on it.

            Why now?

            This city inspires me. Immensely. One day I took a stroll to one of the city’s squares (park) and settled down on a bench. From my backpack I pulled out my notebook. I opened up to a blank page, took in the sights of the park, lowered my head, and started writing a scene for a New Adult book I am slowly working on. I sat there for an hour and the words flowed. Every now and then I would pause and look around. Tourists meandered through the square. Spanish moss danced from the limbs of the mighty Oaks. And the scene kept playing in my head. Inspiration seems to be in the air.

            As I walk the dogs I take in the sights, sounds, and smells. I people watch and spin different stories about two teens I see who are engaged in an intense conversation, about the lonely woman walking her dog, or about the two elderly people walking hand in hand. Yes, I’m inspired.

            I seem to live close to a lot of churches. There are four squares nearby that I walk to that have a church settled on one end or the other. One in particular has inspired another story in my head. This one plays a lot in my mind. Even though I’m in the slow as hell process of revising my second book I’m actually trying to write (even if its bits and pieces) parts to another book besides the New Adult. Two books at once? Yes. Crazy I know. I wish I had more time to dedicate to writing them, but I do what I can.

            When the Charmed One is out of town I sometimes find myself settling in at a local restaurant. I get a drink, place my order, and start writing. There is something about the atmosphere and the people there that inspire the words to flow. Now I just need a bigger notebook!

            On top of that I’m back to working 40 plus hours a week. These are physically demanding ten hours days and they kick the heck out of me. It is all I can do to stay awake for a couple hours after I get home. Writing and revising is for my days off. It is a slow process, but I’m sure that one day I’ll see one of my books in a store and grin from ear to ear. One day. Until then I’ll keep walking, keep taking in the sights and sounds, keep listening to those church bells. And the voices in my head. J I’ll keep being inspired by this beautiful city.   

            Is there something or somewhere that inspires you? Have you ever felt physically drawn to something? What is the last book you read? Did you like it?


W.P.I. - Aboutflowers.com has an interesting section about meanings of flowers. Low and behold I learned that the Iris means inspiration. The Iris is also the state flower of Tennessee and the flower for the month of February. (Interesting since most irises don’t bloom then…)

No comments:

Post a Comment