Monday, March 17, 2014

It's St. Patrick's Day!

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Duit!

  That' s right, that's Irish for Happy St. Patrick's Day! Top o de mornin to ya, my friends! This is the day I have been waiting months for.
The day where almost everyone claims they are Irish. It's a day that most associate with parade's, green beer, and Ireland. I thought I would share some little bits of information that I have found along the way.

  St. Patrick is the Patron Saint of Ireland. He was born in England and was enslaved in Ireland at age 14. He eventually fled only to return years later to preach.

  Around 34 million Americans claim Irish ancestry. 

  Popular Irish toasts on St. Patrick's Day include: May the roof above us never fall in, and may we friends beneath it never fall out.

  On any given day 5.5 million pints of Guinness are consumed around the world. But on St. Patrick's Day, that number more than doubles to 13 million pints. 

  It is said that St. Patrick drove the snakes from Ireland. This is not true due to glacial melt. The waters surrounding the Emerald Isle are too cold for snakes to survive. 

  One estimate suggests there are about 10,000 regular three leaf clovers for every lucky four leaf clover. Today was my lucky day. I found this four leaf clover. It seemed to stand heads above all the rest of its buddies.

  Legend says that each leaf of the clover means something: the first for hope, the second for faith, the third for love, and the fourth for luck. They say that if you find a four leaf clover on St. Patrick's Day then you'll double your luck. I'll look again today, but I wonder if any special luck will come to one found on the day before.

  I added Ryan to my name to sound more Irish. I didn't make it up. It is the last name of my great grandfather. I told you it's in my blood!

To those who celebrate its intended meaning, St. Patrick's Day is a traditional day for spiritual renewal and offering prayers for missionaries worldwide. 

 I found this Irish blessing I liked, I hope you do as well.

  "May you always have...
    Walls for the winds, A roof for the rain
    Tea beside the fire, Laughter to cheer you
    Those you love near you
    And all your heart might desire."


"Health"

      I'll be having a little St. Patrick's Day shindig over on my facebook page if you'd like to join me. Please? :) http://facebook.com/kellyryanwatson

      Have a happy and safe St. Patrick's Day!


    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment