Monday, March 10, 2014

Calm Before the Storm

Last week's frost on azalea leaves.
      Sunday morning I went out on the back deck to check the temperature before I headed out to do some shopping. I was pleasantly surprised to feel comfortable in my shorts and tee. I sat down in one of the chairs and let myself relax and absorb the warmth. Just a couple days ago it was cold here in Savannah (40's.) Days off I try to let my body recover as much as I can so I cherished this time.

      I sat in the chair and watched the Spanish moss do a dance in the wind. I let the rays of sun sink into me. I let the tranquility lull me. I closed my eyes for a minute or two, breathing in the scents of Spring, exhaling any negative. 

      Suddenly I heard bagpipes. My eyes remained closed, but a huge smile came to my face. 

      It is almost St. Patrick's day in Savannah. For those of you that don't know, Savannah hosts the second biggest St. Patrick's Day parade in the country. IN. THE. COUNTRY. That means there will be a ton of people packed into this 2.2 mile city. I've heard the horror stories already. 

      I'm kind of torn right now. I'm excited to be spending my favorite holiday in a place that holds it in such high regard. But I'm not a big crowd person. At any time. My neighbors have put horror stories in my head. And I'm almost scared. All I can say is that I don't plan on leaving the house that day. The day before I have to. Which is something I will blog about within a couple weeks. A story within a story there. ;) 

      And so the countdown begins. Will I love it or hate it? Will I plan an escape for next years St. Patty's day shenanigans? Who knows. Right now I'm basking in the sun and enjoying the bagpipes. :)

      Are you Irish? What holiday do you look forward to the most? Do you enjoy large crowds, or do you prefer peace and tranquility?

No comments:

Post a Comment