Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Recap

      This past weekend was the big one. The be all end all of St. Patrick's celebrations here in Savannah, Georgia. Although I don't like crowds, Charmed and I headed out Saturday night. We found one bar that wasn't too crowded and unruly. After only a few minutes we were pleasantly surprised when a group of men and women entered wearing police uniform shirts and kilts. This group quickly donned bagpipes and drums and started in a trio of songs. The smile that covered my face was unbreakable. They were police officers from Rockland County, NY, who were going to be a part of the parade. Afterward we met a few of these guys and their wives. They were excellent musicians and even more excellent people. I'll never forget this night.

      We had heard horror stories about people showing up outside the window at 2 a.m. getting their roadside seats for the parade. We even had neighbors that were leaving for the weekend. But it rained. So it wasn't too unruly. I didn't even hear anyone outside until almost 7 a.m. But when the people and visitors of Savannah woke and started rolling aroumd I felt safe! Two state troopers sat right outside our windows. :)

      After a while I got myself ready and started to get dressed for the occasion...

      Then the parade started and all happiness was found on all the crowds faces. Until they saw this. I truly believe this is the scariest leprechaun of all time...

      And then this little group came along, and I wondered how I am not a part of this society. Friends say I should've been the creator.
The Shenanigans Society
      Finally, I take pride in certain individuals whom I consider real heroes- our military, firefighters, and police officers.

Pipes and Drums from a police precinct in Long Island, NY.
      I had a blast, even though it rained for most of the parade. It made me happy to see such a celebration for the Irish Saint, and Irish. Yay, Irish!

      Do you attend St. Patrick's day parades? Can you play an instrument? When was the last time you've heard bagpipes live?

W.P.I.- There are several stories associated with the Shamrock Plant. One of the most popular stories is that St. Patrick, the saint who brought Christianity to Ireland, picked a shamrock plant from the grass to explain the Holy Trinity to his congregation; the three leaves, he said, represented the father, the son, and the Holy Spirit. St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated on the anniversary of his death. The Shamrock Plant is also credited with the arrival of spring and as a symbol for the “season of rebirth.”Oxalis regnelli, the green leafed version of the Shamrock Plant, has small delicate white flowers while Oxalis triangularis, or False Shamrock Plant, has dark purple leaves and pinkish lavender flowers. 






   

No comments:

Post a Comment